Friday, February 6, 2015

It Must Be Winter, I'm Making More Soup


Cabbage Soup

When I make cabbage soup, I just start throwing things in.
I started just sautéing 2 onions, a clove of garlic then 2 stalks of celery.
I poured in a couple boxes of low salt beef broth and a box of vegetable broth.
(I just use the amount to be sure to cover the amount of cabbage I put in.)
Add more if you need to.
I used one smaller head of green cabbage, cutting out the core.  I cut it in pretty big chunks so it wouldn't cook all up and be mushy.
I also added a can of diced tomatoes and some chopped carrots.
For seasonings I used a little salt, some pepper, 2 bay leaves, thyme, sage, dill, caraway and some basil.
And then I just let it come to a boil then reduced heat to low and simmered for at least a couple hours or until the cabbage was just right.

Really good and healthy!

Shirley
P.S.
I am trying to use things in my pantry and freezer, and I did with this all except the fresh cabbage.
However, now I have all these containers of soup to go into the freezer!
Well.
I guess that's OK since I always will pick a soup from the freezer over anything else.
Do you love soup too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails