Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Oatmeal

I eat a lot of oatmeal!
I eat it a lot of times for breakfast 
but also either oatmeal or Cream of Wheat (flavored) for a bedtime snack.  
Makes my tummy all warm and full!
I have always bought the boxes of Quaker Oats with the little individual envelopes that you can add water to and cook up in the microwave.
Easy!
My favorites being Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal and Cinnabon Cream of Wheat.
Heaven knows how much I've spent just for the convenience!
I recently saw an idea on Pinterest about just bagging up your own!
Simple and much healthier.
Why didn't I think of this!!
Just look at all the added stuff in those envelopes!!!
Doing it this way, it is just 100%whole grain rolled oats,
plus whatever you add like brown sugar etc.
Much healthier and a whole lot cheaper!

I made up my bags with 1/2 cup of quick oats and a healthy tbsp. of brown sugar.
(and maybe a little swirl of sugar free maple syrup after it's cooked!)
To make it I just pour it in a bowl and add about 3/4 cup of water and microwave it for 1min 40 sec.
Came out perfect!
I use Walmart's quick rolled oats so that alone is cheaper than Quaker and it has a softer consistency which I like it.
An added plus is that you get more to eat for a little less carbs somehow.
1/2 cup of oats this way is 27 carbs plus of course about 12 carbs for the brown sugar.
The envelopes had 34 carbs for much less an amount!
This way is a very healthy helping of oatmeal in the morning!
(You can cut it in half for kids using 1/4 cup of oats.
You'd have to experiment with the amount of water to get it right.)
Here's the site where I saw this.
There's some good ideas in the comments of different things to add.

Try it, you like it!!
I'm going to try making Cream of Wheat next.  I think it's farina??

Shirley

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a oatmeal eater never developed a taste for it, lots of my friend say it's a good filler.

    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails