Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A First in the Hen House

Well, I collected my first "fart egg" also called a wind egg, witch egg, fairy egg or cock's egg.
They are not uncommon and happen when a tiny piece of tissue gets into the chicken's oviduct and their body mistakes it for a yolk and builds an egg around it.
It's about the size of a bantam's egg, the shell is usually harder and very often is yolkless.
This one was green so one of my easter eggers laid it.
Strange little happenings in chickendom!



Shirley

4 comments:

  1. I liked this egg lesson, Shirley, but I don't think I want to find one in my carton from the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With store bought eggs, it would never pass the size test. : ))

      Delete
  2. Well that's something new I've just learnt.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails