Thursday, October 20, 2011

Monk Got His BIG Shot!

On Tuesday Monk went into the vet to have his first injections to hopefully rid him of the heart worms. It was done in the morning and he stayed all day at the vet.
This is a picture of the injection sites. It's a long needle and goes deep into the lumbar muscle. (OUCH)
Yesterday he was a little sore but seems better today. He has to stay really quiet and inactive now for a month. The problem being that when the worms die and break off, since they are in the heart and vessels, they go into the bloodstream and can act as clots causing numerous dangerous problems.
He gets one more two day treatment in 4-6 weeks and hopefully that will kill any remaining worms.
If dog owners realized how terrible this treatment was for the dog, they would use the simple heart worm preventative once a month!!

Please say a prayer for Monk that he does well through the treatment.


  1. Hi Shirley,

    I will be praying for you both! I had heard that the heart worm treatment was really serious, but didn't know just how serious. Thank you for posting and reminding everyone that prevention is the best!

  2. I've only recently heard about heart worms - how awful for the poor animals :o(
    I'm sending positive thoughts from my side of the pond, hoping that Monks treatment is a resounding success.

  3. Putting him in my God box. Bless his heart, he has been through so much. But he has the best home now and the best mom.
    One of our rescues had heartworms. He was supposed to have been tested when he came to us, but wasn't. On his next yearly check up, they found them and the vet said his heart was so weak, and the treatment so horrible, he probably wouldn't survive. We took him to the park across from the vet and discussed it. We spent an hour and played and cuddled him, then took him back and had him put down.
    His whole life except for the last year had been a living hell. We gave him one good year and gave him back to God.


Related Posts with Thumbnails