Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Storm Damage

We just felt the edge of Hurricane Sandy and it was pretty awful so I really feel for the people on the East coast.
The winds were really scary Monday night and I went to bed thankful that I hadn't lost power.  However, I woke up to a cold house and when I looked out my bedroom window, I didn't see the usual big tall pine tree that shades the front of my house.  I knew that wasn't good!
See the majestic pine in my header to the right of my front door.
It's now on the ground.  It will forever change the balanced look of the front of my house.




The tree fell on power lines which is probably why my road lost power.  It shorted out a transformer.
Men in this orange truck were cutting the branches to loosen the lines.


My house got colder and colder as the day went on.
Monk thought it was just fine.


But Rocky needed a blanket.
I just wore my outside clothes!


After dark, without power, there's not much to do!
So I started a nice fire in the fireplace and made my bed in front of it about 9pm!
There were five big trucks in front of my house working from 6:30 till midnight.  They had to put up a new pole and completely rewire a transformer I guess.  They had huge lights out there.
I fell asleep for a short time and woke up at 12:30 when the lights came on.  Yippee!!!


Well, the yucky part of the rest of my story is that my cellar flooded!!  There was about 2-3 inches of water.  Just enough to ruin things in boxes that were sitting on the floor.
As soon as the power came on the sump pump started and took the water away but you are left with a mess.
I spent the day cleaning, throwing things away and bleaching.
I'll be doing the same tomorrow.
At least I'm warm.
After my insurance company sees my damage I have to hire a tree company to take my big beautiful pine tree away and clean things up.

I hope you are all safe.

Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Praise God that big tree didn't fall backwards into your house! That was a very big tree! I'm glad your electric came back on so fast. Ours is still out but we have a generator and the gas log fireplace. That was one wild storm. I went out this evening to church and was surprised at all of the trees that fell out our road. I live in the Hurricane area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!!! I feel so bad dear Shirley! Such a beautiful tree and all your stuff! I hope everything will be ok! Also, you are invited to my Christmas giveaway! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bed you made by the fire ;-) I see the sleeping bag I used while I was there also kept you warm. Good buy from Good Will ;-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Shirley, I know it must sad to loose your magnificent pine tree, but thank goodness it fell away from your home.
    What an excellent idea to sleep snugly in front of the fire.
    Sorry that you have lost some things from your cellar, and the clean up must be awful - but you and your lovely family of pets are safe...
    Sending a {{hug}} across the pond.
    Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO sad to see a big ol' tree like that gone. Almost like a part of the family. Yes, you were lucky it did not go through your home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry about your tree. And your wet basement. We have been through the flooded basement, and it's not pleasant. Sump pumps are wonderful when they work....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails