Thursday, March 13, 2014

Things I Would've Done Differently in my Kitchen

Those of you that have followed my blog for a long time probably remember my kitchen redo.
(You can find the different posts about it under labels for "kitchen".)
It was done about 4 years ago and I still really love it.  I did a classic look with white cabinets that will never get old.  I tried to make it look like it fit into this 1850 farmhouse but still had all the modern conveniences.
There's only a couple things I would do differently.
I never had island height seating before.  I always had a smaller island and then a two person table and chairs.
Well, I've decided that I really don't like sitting at a counter.  It just isn't comfortable for me.
The one thing wrong with it is that the overhang isn't deep enough.  When they were cutting the soapstone it broke at a corner and instead of a 12-14 inch overhang, mine is only 9 inches.
That makes a big difference!
I could've had them take it back and send for another large piece of soapstone but it would've been another week and I was anxious to get it all completed so I said it was OK.
I should've had them replace it.

See the overhang isn't deep enough.
I love the soapstone.  Even though it scratches easily, it's one of my favorite parts of my kitchen.  People tried to talk me into granite but I held out for the soapstone because that's something they would've used in Victorian times.

Another thing is, I don't have enough cupboard space.  I don't know why as we designed this kitchen so carefully!
I think I should replace the maple cupboard with another old one but bigger.  It looks so good there but doesn't really hold much.

I love my engineered hardwood floor.
My dogs race around on it and I have yet to find a scratch!!
My contractor/builder is coming over on Saturday to talk about what to do with my family room floor.
I just may extend this flooring into there.  We'll see.

Here's the posts about my kitchen and dining room renovations:
http://shirleys-world.blogspot.com/2011/01/2010-renovations.html
and
http://shirleys-world.blogspot.com/2010/03/reveal-before-after.html

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails