Saturday, December 27, 2014

Trompe l'oeil


This is a re-post of one I did back 5 years ago.  Nothing has changed in here though!

trompe l'oeil. noun, often attributive trȯmp-ˈlə-ē, trōⁿp-ˈlœi\. : a style of painting in which things are painted in a way that makes them look like real objects.

This is the mantle that we put in the library. The mantle itself is an antique; it had been pulled out of an old house. My husband and I got it at an antique dealer in N. Carolina.  

I love the flaked aqua paint color.


Now it's the fireplace middle that I'm posting about. Just putting a mantle against a wall just doesn't do it. 
 You have to give it some depth.


I got a large piece of plywood and painted it black. I then laid the mantle down and drew around the opening so I would know where to paint the stones.


I splattered some black and white paint in a tray and then got a 4 inch roller and rolled it back and forth a few times in the paint till I got the desired effect. Each time I would roll a "stone" it looked different. After I got the "stones" painted, I took a small brush, going around the inside edges with black paint to round them and make them a little more real looking.


So here it is, still sitting in the same spot as we put it when we moved into this house. It just seems to fit here. A fireplace where there wasn't one.

Have a wonderful day.


Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails