Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm Back, With News

Horse Upheaval!!

I haven't been writing because I have been at the barn everyday, morning till night soaking Echo's left front hoof. He had an abscess and the vet couldn't get to it so we were trying to draw out the infection with heat and epson salts. The last two days I gooped it up with Ichthammol, a drawing salve, and wrapped it with vet wrap and duct tape! Well, today he is walking and running on it just fine. I never saw it drain but it must have!!



The Upheaval Part

We found a private barn that we are moving to with two of our good friends. It will be a positive move for the horses. The barn is small, just 7-8 stalls and we are filling 5 of them and the woman that has the barn has 3 horses. (Two little ones.)
The stalls are all much bigger than they are in now and the floors are matted on limestone and very flat.


It has a nice arena, a little narrower than where we are at now but longer. Everything is very well lit which will be nice.


Here's the biggest reason. The horses will have giant grass pastures with trees for shade!!!!


We move the middle of August. Moving horses, if you don't trailer all the time, is a big deal and nerve wracking. At least it is for me! That's why we are working on Echo's trailer loading! He's the one I'm worried about. The other's have trailered much more often.

I feel like I'm getting a stress ulcer!!
Shirley

7 comments:

  1. I was just soaking our dogs foot in Epsom salts two nights ago. Couldn't keep her foot in there long enough so she ended up at the vets. Glad your guy is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, NURSE Shirley!!! So glad horsey is feeling so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Echo is feeling better. It will be a stressful couple of weeks, but it will be worth it once the horses are in their new home. It looks like a lovely facility.

    Have a great weekend! La

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about Echo - and moving will feel better to you once you have them all at the new barn. It looks great, and pasture for the horses? Wonderful! We have our horses on our own property, but they are in a dry lot and have to receive hay daily. We turn them out in the yard to graze from time to time, and then hubby mows everything. The drawback to yard grazing - I have clean up the 'piles' they left behind every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new facility looks lovely, and how fun to share it with friends. Glad Echo is recovering. Good luck with the trailering. You are wise to prepare in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck on the move; it looks like a wonderful place!

    Linda Tellington Jones has wonderful excercises to work on with horses for loading issues. I used it with my Arab and when moving day came, one hesitation and then he was in! Piece of Cake! WHEW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shirley, I'm really glad Echo's hoof is better. I hope the move goes well it looks like a lovely place, I'm sure the horses will love it. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails