Thursday, August 22, 2013

Molly and Her Rubber Egg

Yesterday I found a shell-less egg in one of the nesting boxes.  It was just the inside of the egg.  
The white and the yoke.  I knew Molly had been in there so I went to find her.  
Sure enough, the rubbery egg membrane was caught on her back feathers.
I cleaned the egg out of the nesting box, being glad she didn't eat it.  Egg eating is hard to brake if they start that.


Well, today, out in the yard, I found another egg without a hard shell.  Unfortunately the membrane broke when it hit the stones.  They're called rubber eggs and are fairly common.  I'm assuming it is from Molly.  She seems perfectly fine.
There's many causes of this but she is eating Layer Pellets and I keep free choice oyster shell grit in their run.  I'll see if she goes back to laying regular hard shelled eggs before I search out a cause.
They are strange birds!  Always something with them.

Shirley

4 comments:

  1. I love it when you talk about your chickens, love hearing the details and love learning about the eggs and all those details that are every day to you...very interesting...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this before.
    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of this before but I have never had chickens so I have no experience in this area.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this happened to one of our chickens about 48 years ago. I was just a kid and I got to take the rubber egg to school for show and tell. Very weird isn't it. I would have assumed it was a dietary thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails