Monday, December 10, 2012

Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup

Barley is good for you.
It can reduce high BP and high cholesterol.
I've never cooked with barley before so I got some Quaker Quick Pearled Barley.
This is the somewhat altered recipe from the back of the box.

1/2 - 1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion
5 cups water
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 clove garlic, minced
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 (14 oz) can diced or cut up tomatoes
3/4 cup quick barley
1 (9 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables


In a soup pot or dutch oven, brown meat.  Add onions and minced garlic and cook till tender. (drain)
Add water and the rest of the ingredients except for the frozen vegetables which you add near the end.
Cover and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and cook for 15-30 minutes.  Add frozen vegetables and cook 10 minutes more.
You can add additional water if soup thickens too much.  (I added some low sodium chicken broth)

This is a really delicious soup that has healthy written all over it!
I had two bowls to be sure!  Yummmmmmm!

Great for the cold weather that's bound to be coming!





I'm linking this post with:















Shirley

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley! I love soup made from scratch, especially this time of year. I'm a vegetarian but I think I could make this recipe work even without the meat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have cooked with barley a few times and am always surprised by how much it thickens my dish. Good to know it is so good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sold on how healthful barley is...great looking soup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails