Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Meet the Girls



Chickens are strange and funny little creatures!
My pullets are now 6 weeks old.
Let me tell you, it is not easy getting chicken photos that aren't blurry!
They are very busy little birds and won't pose for the camera!  They are constantly pecking around so a lot of the photos were of their butts with their heads to the ground!
You have to get down to their level and then they all try to jump on your lap or your back if you're kneeling.  (Note:  It's important to check the back of your shirt for chicken poop before heading off to town!!)

Hello!


______________________________________

This is Eggo.  She's an easter egger and is beautifully marked with brown, black and gold.  Very friendly and can fly all the way to my shoulder!!!  Every time I bend over to do something in the run, she flies up onto my back!!



This is Lily.  She's also an easter egger!  They come in all shades and colors.  They lay green and blue eggs.  She's a little shy but getting better and will now hop on my lap with the others.



This is Dottie.  She's a silver-laced wyandotte.  I'm praying that the faster growing waddle doesn't mean Dottie is a Danny!!



Now, these next two are hard to tell apart from pictures.  
I think this is Molly.  She is quite shy.



I'm pretty sure this is Martha.  She is the bravest and wants to be on my lap all the time.  She snuggles right down.  They are both buff orpingtons.
I handled them all right away from when they were about 3 days old.  They know my voice even before they see me.



At dusk they all come into their coop and hop onto the roost.  They have all that room but like to crowd together.  I wonder if they have established a special line up?  I'll have to notice that in the next few days. 
I know a lot of people didn't understand why I wanted to get chickens.  I read about them for about a year before I got my 6.  (I now have 5 after poor Millie's demise.)
Yes, the eggs are the biggest part but I kept reading people's "chicken blogs" and they all loved having them so much so I decided to get them.
And they were right!  They are fascinating little birds and all have their distinctive personalities, that's for sure!!



Happy 4th of July everyone!!!
It was too hot to do anything today.  My sister and I just stayed home and vegetated in the air conditioning while the dogs slept!!  
I am so thankful that we haven't lost electricity.  I can't imagine the poor people who have been without it for days now in this heat!

Goodnight all.

Shirley

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous!!! Your chickies are fantastic and I wish dearly that you could keep one in the city!!!! SO CUTE! You can tell these are so happy! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails