Sunday, September 6, 2009

Nature's Metamorphasis

Thanks to Susan and her wonderfully inspirational blog. She hosts Metamorphasis Monday every week and causes all of us to look for changes we can make, big and small. Please go visit everyone participating at: http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/



I planted the gourds all around this dog pen. They are big climbing vines. And when the gourds started growing then went down through the pen. It was a wonderful magical looking place while they were growing.


You can do a lot of crafty things with gourds but I like bird houses the best.
The gourds must be well dried till you can hear the seeds shake inside. Then the outside must be scrubbed and cleaned till smooth.


Drill a doorway the appropriate size for the bird you want to attract.


Drill holes in the bottom to drain moisture.


After it was all cleaned and drilled I painted the leaves on there and then sprayed it with a waterproof coating and of course added a perch and hook.

Now, giving it back to house a little bird.
(Well, not exactly this one, it's in my house, but a few other ones have had birds nesting in them.)



Here's some more of natures changes:
From tiny acorns . . .

So grows the giant oak tree.


And here's another:
The seed falls in this spiney covering and when it's ready it pops open and "births" this beautiful buckeye seed.

and if things go just right . . . you'll gain a large Buckeye Tree.
Look around you everyone. There is a wonderful metaphorphasis going on all around us.
Happy Monday
Shirley

9 comments:

  1. The first gourd picture certainly does look magical! The Gourd birdhouse is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gourd is just beautiful --- the leaves make all the difference!
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at what you did with that gourd! I have seen these before..NOT a pretty as what you have done though.
    Your's is so natural looking, like it belongs in the wild. Just lovely!
    Acorns! My favorite thing and the very last thing my husband gave to me on this earth.
    An acorn. :)
    I loved you post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if I can find some of these gourds at a market around here I will definitely give this a try.
    What you call a buckeye we refer to a a horse chestnut. Are the the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bird houses are fab - you are so clever - thanks for popping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley...

    Just had to leave you a note about this fabulous post!!! My friend, you are absolutely right about your vines and pretty gourds being a magical place! I've never seen anything like it! It's awesome!!! Ohhh...I would just love to have some of those gourds right now...so perfect for all the Autumn decor! Not to mention, all the little acorns and even the buckeyes! I've never seen the buckeye pods before...how neat!!!

    What a sweet little bird house that you made out of the gourd...it really is fabulous! I love the painted leaves that you did...you're a very talented lady, my friend!!! Thank you for sharing this with us and including the instructions for crafting!!! Awesome!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari
    PS...just left you a note on your Sunday Favorites post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way those gourds looked while growing--really cool!! Lots of people around here hang a bunch of gourds in their yards. But as far as the buckeyes you should have warned people not to eat them...Ha! ..My hubby thought at one time that they were chestnuts and I said, Noooo, I don't think so....then we found out what they were and I was so glad I didn't let him cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a gourd farm pretty close to our house and last fall I went there and bought a variety of sizes for craft projects.
    I was JUST working on one of them today!! A huge gourd that I painted white and painted our initial on the front of it. I'll put pictures up once I get my own laptop back from the shop!! (it crashed!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails