Saturday, June 5, 2010

Big Happening of the Week

Happenings of the Week in Shirley's World

This is a biggie! For me anyway. I finally got a dining room table!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(After not having one for over a year and a half I might add!)


Here is a picture I found in a very old 1986 Country Home magazine!


The table I purchased looks almost identical to that one!


I had been so close to spending almost $1300 to have a primitive plank board country table made for me. (And it would've taken 8-10 weeks to get!) I love the primitive look but I had seen this solid cherry long drop leaf table in the local antique mall a couple months ago. It was only $395. I almost bought it then but waited because I thought I wanted the more primitive one. I hunted all over for an old 6 ft. country table and couldn't find one. Before ordering the handmade table I went to the mall one more time and they had marked this table down to $325.!!!!!!! Was that a sign or what!!!
I sat in the parking lot and called my sister. (I do have a little trouble making decisions!) And then went in and bought it. It was delivered yesterday!!!!
I will be painting all my fan back windsor chairs black so they all match.


The finish is nearly perfect. (The cats have been warned!!)


I think I can still decorate with a lot of primitives. What do you decorators say out there????


I won't have to do anything to the china cabinet at the moment as it is cherry too. I hate the mirrored back it has. Eventually I'd like to get a more primitive looking cupboard.


Also, if I changed the rug in there it would change the whole look. But for now I guess it will have to look more colonial. I can put my dishes back in my china cupboard.
Now I can start doing my tablescapes on a real table and maybe have some girls over for tea : ))
Please tell me what you think about mixing colonial and primitive decor.

Shirley

4 comments:

  1. Shirley-I think you made a good decision and a good deal too! That table is a classic! I love it. Can't wait to see your tablescapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the table, and I love it in the room. Go ahead - - - be a bit eclectic!!! It'll be alright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great table, and you can drop the leaves if you want so there's some flexibility, As far as mixing styles I think today you can do whatever you want to do--lots of variety is in, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo....I am so jealous! I know you will enjoy that beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails