Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Eggs and Friendship Bread

Happenings This Week
in Shirley's World



I was driving to the barn as usual and decided to stop at a farm that had a "Fresh Eggs" sign out. I thought I could get some good eggs and maybe learn a little more about raising chickens as an added plus! I got two dozen wonderful looking eggs and saw all the hens and one nasty looking big rooster looking over his "girls". Unfortunately the woman of the house wasn't home, just a teenage (untalkative) boy so I didn't get much information except that their chickens have a huge area, sort of fenced in but they can really go most anywhere. So I guess you'd call them free range. Maybe next time I'll get to talk to the lady of the coop!




Amish Friendship Bread

I suppose everyone has heard of it. I used to make it a lot after someone gave me a "starter". Gosh, I think that was way back when I was working as a nurse. Heavens!! Anyway, my daughter-in-law gave me a "starter" a few weeks ago and I made the traditional cinnamon bread and gave away the 3 starters to unsuspecting friends as required. Then I found out that there are many, many variations you can do with this bread.


Well, of course, I choose the chocolate-chocolate chip one and Oh Mama!!! It is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I could sit and eat the whole loaf myself with ice cream or whipped cream or just plain!!


You've got to find someone to give you a starter and try it!!!!
I'll have more "starters" after Sunday. (Sorry, I can't mail them : )) See, you get to make 2 large loaves or 4 small loaves every 10 days because you always keep a "starter" for yourself! 'Cause there's no tellin' when you'll ever get another if you give them all away!
If you get one, here's the link to the page with all the variations you can make:

I'm linking this with "What's on the Menu" at Dining With Debbie" Please visit her site for some more delicious things.

See you tomorrow,
Shirley

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley - me again! My husband and I are also learning about chickens so we can get some next year. I have a good friend who is a chicken expert. Let me know if you ever want me to get you in touch with her. Maybe I can get her to do a class on Chickens.

    Also, Meyer Hatchery in Polk is supposed to be a really good place to go too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, thanks for finding my blog, I'm glad I found yours! I've been making Amish Friendship bread and blogging about it for awhile. I think I have 5 variations on my blog! Your chocolate chip one looks awesome! I am making my next batch on Friday, I'm thinking lemon raspberry, not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shirley, I just LOVE your blog! I'm so happy you stopped by to say "hi". I am most definitely signing up to be a new follower : ).

    Thank you for your sweet compliment on my banana bread. I truly appreciate people taking the time to stop by. Blessings to you!

    Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you weren't able to find someone to talk to about the hens. I find them very interesting, and they don't require as much care as you might think. I just posted some pics on my blog you may find of interest - with EGGS too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Shirley!

    Your bread looks really tasty! Is there a recipe for it without having someone give me the starter?

    I'm interested in getting some chickens for next year, but know nothing at all about them! I'll have to find some time to do some research!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today (the applesauce chicken post)! And for the nice compliments!

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog for a $40 CSN Stores gift certificate...if you get the chance stop over and enter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails